Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tales from the Blue Line- 12/1/08

Not much has changed on the personal writing front; the newsletter has really turned me off of everything writing + running. Below is my newsletter blurb about the NYC Marathon. Purely fluff to round out the section. Not much to preface with other than next year I have to go for it.

###

I was pretty much in denial about the whole “marathon” thing. Just like any other Sunday, I awoke at 5am, rode the Staten Island Ferry, used seven Port-a-Potties, and threw on my dad’s 15-year-old, XL sweat pants.

It wasn’t until after the cannon fired and JT, JB, and I were actually over water that it hit me: we were running a marathon. And the finish line was a really long way away.

Powered by Obama, JT pulled JB and me along until we let him (i.e., begged him to) go ahead. Before he took off, we made some finish line predictions, then that little blue speck of Hope disappeared into the sea of runners. He still owes me 10 GUs.

Though we hadn’t planned it, JB and I hung together until roughly Mile 24 in Central Park. We shared some surreal experiences that day, some of which are just now coming back to me, and some which I may block forever.

But I do know that had I approached this as a “race”, I would not have been smiling and singing and slapping kids’ hands and twirling my Mama around at Mile 18. Everything just came together and I thank JB for that. Friends do help share the load and, whether he knows it or not, he is now my (un)offi cial marathon partner. Let’s hope he’s game to lower my PR next year.

No comments: